Sunday, June 06, 2004

Refugee

Wandering around in my skin, I realise other people extend into their environment further than I do. Sure I have clothes and a Walkman (poor man's iPod) but I never really extended physically any further than that, no bricks and mortar, no fences, no furniture. The planet all 'belongs' to someone else.

That's fine, I can wander around most of it without much hassle, although I mustn't loiter anywhere too long, apparently.

So, I find conversations about mortgages, and gardens and cars and stuff quite distressing because I literally don't really understand. Apparently this big old free world I always took for granted can be 'bought' from me for a string of beads, and as I don't really understand what they intend to do with it when they 'own' it I agree - I take the beads, the smallpox blankets, and the bottle of whiskey I can't digest, and let them have it. hmm. (my usual romantic twaddle)

Anyway - today I was walking along, and in my head I could hear Tom Petty singing "Refugee", but it was coming out "No you don't have to live like the bourgeoisie, don't have to live like the bourgeoisieee..."

Just one of those things in my head. It ain't nothing important. And it's pretty stupid, coming from a man who now has a regular job.

We got some thin' we both know it,
We don't talk too much about it
Ain't no real big secret, all the same,
Somehow we get around it
Listen, it don't really matter to me
Baby, you believe what you wanna believe
You see, you don't have to live like a refugee

Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have
Kicked you around some
Tell me why you wanna lay there,
Revel in your abandon

Honey, it don't make no difference to me
Baby, everybody's had to fight to be free
You see, you don't have to live like a refugee
No baby, you don't have to live like a refugee

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails