Friday, June 24, 2011

Something to do with visions

Jaimes in 1975 I had a good friend called Jaimes, in the mid-Sixties, who let me sleep on his sofa, inspired me with pranks and poetry, and made me laugh a lot.

It was the era of the singer/songwriter, and he was a poet, but he didn't make a living as a musician.
Later he went to the USA and a couple of years later, when I got my own adventure legs under me, I decided to drop in for coffee (in Palo Alto) without warning him I was on the way. He dealt with a hippie ghost turning up from a previous life really graciously, and again sheltered me until I got my second wind - then launched me out.

He just died a couple of days ago. We had made some internet contact in the last year or two, through his daughter.

I found this poem of his from 1969, in an old folder of writings...

Something to do with visions

It was something I had to tell you
Diane, it was all caught up with the morning
Something to do with visions

There were no visions today
I noticed particularly
There were no visions today, Diane
Perhaps they had all gone home

Today I was not deceived by your arteries
And though I searched your shoes and comb
I found no traces of gold
Even when I investigated my fingernails
There was no gold
Today love, you must have walked upon the ground

It was something to do with me
Today I was older than my generation
I refused to protect you from your virtue
There are too many, I said, too many already
in chains of flowers and April

They didn’t know about your perfume
They thought I was talking about seasons

It was something I had to tell you
I wrote it down so I wouldn’t forget
Something to do with visions
My eyes are rimmed with a fine and precious dust.

3 comments:

Julie Shackson said...

So sorry you lost a friend.
I like his poem.
xxjxx

Toby said...

Thanks, babe.

It's the only one I have of his, but he wrote much more - and even set up a communal Poetry Website called Alsop Review
I was pleased that he adopted a Buddhist approach to life in the last year or so...I hope it brought him serenity.

Toby said...

Ah phooey, just spotted a typo in the poem, it should read 'refused' not 'refuse'.

Just gone in and corrected it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails