Tuesday, April 06, 2004

More head-banging with Norton Security

I really don't know why I stick to this product, unless it's 'better the devil you know, than McAfee's slowing down your internet connection'.

I should have just subscribed for new virus definitions, and stayed with the 2003 version which worked fine... started playing with the 2004 upgrade, and the reviews (most of them) from Amazon.co.uk suddenly seem all too true. Grrrr!

Anyway - just like last year, I am going to have to uninstall/reinstall, and I remember what a pain that was to do cleanly. Surely I shouldn't be fiddling around in the registry in this day and age?

Why am I telling you this? Well, I have to tell someone, as I get reduced to tears of frustration by this kind of design. As for the Help Pages at Symantec, they have to have been designed by Kafka - the tree diagram behind it all must look hilarious. To install this you have to first uninstall that, to uninstall that you will need to check out these pages, these pages say you will need to do this, then this, then this, then this - now after those four things I have completely forgotten why I was doing them ah yes, you had to do them before doing that, what was that again? ah yes, tell you what, as I am getting lost here I will print out the pages as I go - now I have a bunch of cross-referenced paper, all I have to do is remember the order in which these things MUST be done OR ELSE. Or else, what? Back to the loop.....

It should go up as an example 'help site' of how NOT to treat people when they are already confused.....as one of the less literate reviewers said (although whether he was just young, dyslexic or simply apoplectic with rage and unable to type is hard to tell) - while you are unplugged from the Internet trying to figure this out, you are certainly safe.....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails