Jonathan Miller's programme on a History of disbelief was most excellent. What a delight to hear someone else say they don't want to call themselves an atheist or an agnostic (why define yourself as against anything?) We don't have a special word for people who don't believe in ghosts or witches, after all. It just dignifies a stupid idea (that has admittedly been around a long time) to spend time trying to deny or disprove it. Who tries to disprove the Greek Gods any more? We just 'know' they don't exist, and are just folk tales - maybe instructive or entertaining, but not to be confused with 'real'. Anyway - I stumbled over another cheerfully blasphemous site today, which contained, amongst other things, this:
Top 10 Reasons Why Beer Is Better Than Religion
(by Steve Berry of the Texas A&M University Agnostic and Atheist Student Group)
10. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.
9. Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.
8. Beer has never caused a major war.
7. They don't force Beer on minors who can't think for themselves.
6. When you have Beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.
5. Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over their brand of Beer.
4. You don't have to wait more than 2,000 years for a second Beer.
3. There are laws saying that Beer labels can't lie to you.
2. You can prove you have a Beer.
1. If you've devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you stop.