Friday, June 20, 2003

I thought today deserved something a bit more light-hearted. Julie and I celebrated five years together, last night.

It was a beautiful morning, this morning, and I remembered a day many years ago when I was swimming in the Pacific Ocean, off Bolinas Beach, and it was a bit overcast, and I said to a companion 'it would be perfect, if only the sun came out'. And he replied, rather sternly, 'this is the only day we've got!' A real fierce old Here-and Now message. We hippies were quite fierce with each other, when it came to staying aware....

All of which brings me to this old Sanskrit poem:



Look well to this day

For it is life

The very best of life.

In its brief course lie all

The realities and truths of existence,

The joy of growth, the splendour of action,

The glory of power.

For yesterday is but a memory.

And tomorrow is only a vision.

But today well lived

Makes every yesterday a memory of happiness

And every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well, therefore to this day.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails