Friday, May 21, 2004

KINKS

Ray Davis was on the box the other night, he's making a solo album. A fellow Muswell Hillbilly, I have always had a certain affection for the band that didn't break into America. Hard enough for the Beatles (more famous than Jesus) or The Stones (attitude), but to get banned just because your name sounded 'kinky' (sigh)

Anyway, he kept that English music-hall feel, and I loved it. Of course, I realise how old I am, and how overlooked they are when they played Waterloo Sunset and Julie (quite a lot younger) said that she always thought that was a Beatle song...

The one real flash for me was Celluloid Heroes - I forgot what an utterly brilliant song it was, and how I sang it (off and on) through the 70s when I was trying to get into show biz.

Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star,
And everybody's in movies, it doesn't matter who you are.
There are stars in every city,
In every house and on every street,
And if you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Their names are written in concrete!

Lots of wonderful rueful gags about stars being walked all over by tourists...ending in:
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show,
A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes,
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
And celluloid heroes never really die.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails