Saturday, January 31, 2004

I am aware that people sometimes mistake my pantheism for British sentimentality about animals - but it isn't that. I am just appalled at human chauvinism (which I attribute, in part, to the Christian religion pretending that humans are a special creation, quite separate from nature and all the other living beings).

The modern scientific world view makes that belief almost laughable (to me), so my occasional arguing against humans is not mystical fascist indifference to human suffering - but just an attempt to balance our world view. It is clear that Indian and Chinese religions have tended to understand better the 'systems view' of our place in nature, and (in the modern world) I guess it is the Deep Ecology people who are taking this sometimes contentious position - there are too many people, and we are ravaging the planet's resources.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails