Sunday, May 11, 2003

Well, I am feeling a bit smug at the moment. I missed Test The Nation a few weeks ago, and didn't do the online version, as I had the complete programme on video. I settled down with it today (and a Do Not Disturb sign) and got 64/70, which, for my age range translated as an IQ of 148. The highest in the studio was 135, and the highest online user that evening was 149.

The woman from MENSA said getting over 130 on this particular test would qualify you to join MENSA (the top 2% of the population). The reason being that scores vary quite a bit (last year I got 128 I think). To quote the MENSA site

The term "IQ score" is widely used but poorly defined. There is a large number of tests with different scales. The result on one test of 132 can be the same as a score 148 on another test. Some intelligence tests don't use IQ scores at all. Mensa has set a percentile as cutoff to avoid this confusion. Candidates for membership in Mensa must achieve a score at or above the 98th percentile (a score that is greater than or equal to 98 percent of the general population taking the test) on a standard test of intelligence.

I am not actually surprised, as I was told I was smart when I did the 11+ all those years ago (even though, as Julie pointed out, it was biased against girls). It didn't turn into a university degree. I dropped out in boredom and frustration; I would say because I was too smart, but others would say because (in that area) I was dumb. It hasn't turned into (say) a high income (If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?) It has kept me amused (but easily bored). And I've met people way smarter than me, too (Hi Keili and Kim).

But still, smug, like I say. Just publishing it up here is pretty egotistical, isn't it? Still, I did it because I like the brain exercise. And I get the age-weighting advantage (when actually I am not much slower than I was when I was young). Curious about what I am talking about? Go try it here. Bear in mind that it is weighted against people for whom English is a second language; weighted against people who had less education; weighted against people who suffer exam anxiety; etc.

And I enjoyed chess as a kid, but can't play it well, now. I go nuts trying to understand the fascination of Bridge, and can't even begin to do cryptic crosswords. Each to their own.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails